There were lots of great suggestions in the class that I am filing away in my brain. I decided to run with the idea of using a geometric pattern. It sounded so easy when I came up with the idea! Here it is...
I inked up another stamp set that has been sitting around waiting for me to give it some love, Trigonometry. I thought this would be just the perfect set to use for a guy card.
I started by picking the spot on my cardstock where I wanted the bottom of the triangle to be. Basically I just moved around one of the stamps until I felt it looked right. Then I used a T ruler to draw a top and bottom line. I needed these as a reference point to keep me going straight. This is when I dug out my mini Misti. I'm not sure I could have completed this card without it!
I used two different Altenew inks for the triangles, Desert Night and Dusk. I placed my cardstock in the Misti, lined up my first stamp, inked it up and stamped. Whew. So far so good! Then I cleaned off my stamp and turned it upside down, lined it up, and stamped the Dusk triangle. I repeated the process until I had a strip all the way across.
Let me interrupt with a little secret, I actually had to stamp this card out four times. Yep. It was a little tricker than I thought to get the spacing between the triangles just right. Not to mention keeping them straight! I persevered though!! Once it was done (and dry!) I went back and erased my pencil lines.
Next I came in with a copic safe black marker and a T ruler. I wanted to add that extra bit of detail the black lines would add. Then I used some gray copic markers to create the appearance of a shadow. I used N3, N1, N0 and colorless blender. I like how it makes it appear as if I have multiple layers but it is only one!
I stamped the Happy Birthday sentiment from the same Trigonometry set with the Desert Night ink. I also rubbed some of the Desert Ink onto a piece of white cardstock. I wanted to have a dark blue layer to go between the sentiment and the cardstock. Once that was done, I cut the pieces down to size and glued them onto the cardstock.
For the final touch, I cut off about a 1/4" from the bottom of the cardstock and mounted it to a dark blue card base. This lets just a little bit of the blue base show at the top and bottom of the card. I think it makes the blues pop!
Now it's time to move on to my next class. See you soon!